the woman of my dreams
"I burned with desire for her." —Sirach 51:19
It sounds like a preview for a modern movie: "She came to me in her beauty...I became resolutely devoted to her...I burned with desire for her...I became preoccupied with her...I came to know her secrets" (Sir 51:14, 18, 19). Who is this desirable woman of the author's dreams? She is Lady Wisdom (Sir 51:13).
Listen to the author's testimony concerning Lady Wisdom:
- Wisdom is innocent. "When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom" (Sir 51:13). "Wisdom from above...is first of all innocent" (Jas 3:17).
- Wisdom is also pure. "For her I purified my hands; in cleanness I attained to her" (Sir 51:20).
- Wisdom is available. "She is close to those who seek her, and the one who is in earnest finds her" (Sir 51:26).
- Wisdom is profitable. "In the short time I paid heed, I met with great instruction...See for yourselves! I have labored only a little, but have found much" (Sir 51:16, 27).
- Wisdom is for life. "At first acquaintance with her, I gained understanding such that I will never forsake her...I have made her my prize possession" (Sir 51:20, 21).
The Lord gives nothing to those who put expedience ahead of wisdom (Mk 11:33). He gives much to those who burn with desire for wisdom (see Sir 51:19; 1 Kgs 3:9ff). "Get wisdom" (Prv 4:5).
Prayer: Jesus, Wisdom (1 Cor 1:30), I ask You in faith to give me wisdom as You have promised in Your word (Jas 1:5).
Promise: "The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul." —Ps 19:8
Praise: Sts. Marcellinus & Peter converted their fellow prisoners, their jailer, and his family.
Reference: (This teaching was submitted by a member of our editorial team.)
Rescript: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, January 22, 2007
The Nihil Obstat ("Permission to Publish") is a declaration that a book or pamphlet is considered to be free of doctrinal or moral error. It is not implied that those who have granted the Nihil Obstat agree with the contents, opinions, or statements expressed.