"The gift you have received, give as a gift." —Matthew 10:8
One of the most famous (or infamous) Christmas songs is "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth." Sadly, if that's all you want, that may be all you'll get. I don't know about you, but I want a lot more than some teeth:
- I want the sick cured, the dead raised, the leprous healed, and demons expelled (Mt 10:8).
- I want workers for the harvest (Mt 9:38) and the kingdom of God on earth as it is in heaven (Mt 6:10).
- I want a deep, totally committed relationship with Jesus, not only for me but also for every member of my family, my friends, and all of you.
- I want the baptism in the Spirit, the "streams of running water" (Is 30:25), for every believer in the world.
- I want world evangelism, repentance, conversion, sanctification, and healing.
- I want an end to war, starvation, abortion, racism, and injustice.
- I want Jesus' Second Coming, the end of the world, and "new heavens and a new earth" (Rv 21:1).
- I want to see Jesus face to face (1 Cor 13:12).
That's what I want for Christmas. And my heavenly Father says: "Is that all?"
Prayer: Father, I'm sorry for asking and expecting too little of You this Christmas. During this Advent, may I come to believe in the depth, width, breadth, and height of Your love (Eph 3:18-19).
Promise: "He will give rain for the seed that you sow in the ground, and the wheat that the soil produces will be rich and abundant." —Is 30:23
Praise: St. Francis Xavier was shot, was threatened by wild animals and suffered loneliness and isolation. Yet he persevered in his mission and brought the good news of Jesus to hundreds of thousands of people in the Far East.
Rescript: †Most Reverend Joseph R. Binzer, Auxiliary Bishop, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, August 10, 2016
The Nihil Obstat ("Permission to Publish") is a declaration that a book or pamphlet is considered to be free of doctrinal or moral error. It is not implied that those who have granted the Nihil Obstat agree with the contents, opinions, or statements expressed.