living from hand to mouth
"This is the Jesus God has raised up, and we are His witnesses." —Acts 2:32
The risen Jesus was seen not by all but only by witnesses "hand picked by God" (Acts 10:41, our transl). By our Baptisms, all Christians have been hand picked by the Lord to be witnesses for the risen Christ.
To be loving and effective witnesses, we need to be like:
- Mary Magdalene, who loved Jesus as she stood at the foot of the cross (Jn 19:25),
- the women leaving the tomb, who worshipped Jesus (Mt 28:9),
- Peter, who repented of denying Jesus (Lk 22:62) and became the leader of the early Church,
- the apostles, on whom Jesus breathed and said: "Receive the Holy Spirit" (Jn 20:22), and
- the two disciples on the road to Emmaus, whose hearts were burning as Jesus taught them His word (Lk 24:32).
The witnesses of the risen Christ are hand picked for this privilege and honor because they have received the Holy Spirit at the cross, through God's word, in repentance and worship. Jesus promised: "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes down on you; then you are to be My witnesses" (Acts 1:8).
The hand of the Lord is upon you (e.g. Ez 3:22) and the Holy Spirit is received through the laying on of hands (see Catechism, 699). You will witness accordingly when you live fully the life in the Holy Spirit poured out on you through the laying on of hands in Confirmation. Live your Confirmation and live Easter.
Prayer: Father, send the Holy Spirit of Easter to free me.
Promise: "You will fill me with joy in Your presence." —Acts 2:28
Praise: Praise the risen Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life (Jn 11:25). Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Reference: (For a related teaching, order our tape Confirmation on audio AV 3B-3 or video V-3B.)
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Robert L. Hagedorn, October 9, 2003
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, October 14, 2003