the holy spirit in the great jubilee
"He Who worked through Peter as His apostle among the Jews had been at work in me." —Galatians 2:8
In this long-awaited year of the Great Jubilee, the two-thousandth anniversary of Jesus' Incarnation, we must let the Holy Spirit:
- cry out in our hearts "Abba" (Rm 8:15; Gal 4:6; see also Lk 11:2),
- help us to pray in our weakness (Rm 8:26; see also Lk 11:1),
- make us submissive to those in authority (see Eph 5:18-21; see also Gal 2:2),
- make us mindful of the poor (Gal 2:10) so that we preach to them the good news of freedom in Jesus (Lk 4:18),
- convict the world and the worldly of sin (Jn 16:8; see also Gal 2:11),
- make the Acts of the Apostles present in our time,
- surpass the Acts of the Apostles in our time, and
- give us the greatest Jubilee of all times.
Let us be "docile to the action of the Holy Spirit" (Toward the Third Millennium, Pope John Paul II, 18) and so receive the greatest Jubilee of justice and freedom. Let us pray with Mary: "I am the servant of the Lord. Let it be done to me according to Your word" (Lk 1:38, our transl). Come, Holy Spirit!
Prayer: Father, send the Holy Spirit so that the Great Jubilee will be everything You want it to be.
Promise: "Forgive us our sins for we too forgive all who do us wrong." —Lk 11:4
Praise: Submitting to the Church's teachings against birth control made Peter appreciate his fatherhood and his Father.
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Ralph J. Lawrence, April 24, 2000
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, April 27, 2000