the sinner-loving god
"The Pharisees and the scribes murmured, 'This Man welcomes sinners.' " —Luke 15:2
God welcomes sinners and eats with them (Lk 15:2). He loves sinners so much He:
- "removes guilt" (Mi 7:18),
- "pardons sin" (Mi 7:18; see also Ps 103:3),
- delights in clemency (Mi 7:18),
- again has compassion on us (Mi 7:19),
- treads underfoot our guilt (Mi 7:19),
- casts "into the depths of the sea all our sins" (Mi 7:19),
- "will show faithfulness" (Mi 7:20),
- "heals all your ills" (Ps 103:3),
- "redeems your life from destruction" (Ps 103:4),
- "as far as the east is from the west" puts "our transgressions from us" (Ps 103:12),
- runs out to meet sinners (Lk 15:20),
- throws His arms around us and kisses us (Lk 15:20),
- gives us presents to honor us (Lk 15:22), and
- has a special celebration in our honor (Lk 15:23).
God the Father loves sinners so much that He sent his Son to die for us (Jn 3:16). "You can depend on this as worthy of full acceptance: that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" (1 Tm 1:15). "It is precisely in this that God proves His love for us" (Rm 5:8).
Sinner, God loves you even if no one loves you and even if you don't love yourself. Sinner, God loves you with an unconditional, crucified, everlasting, perfect, infinite love. Repent and turn back to Love.
Prayer: Father, I rejoice with Your joy over one sinner who repents (Lk 15:7, 10, 32).
Promise: "Show us wonderful signs." —Mi 7:15
Praise: Jesus set Diego free from a compulsion to use pornography.
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Robert L. Hagedorn, July 26, 1997
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, July 29, 1997