because he lives...
"Sons of the resurrection, they are sons of God." —Luke 20:36
Alleluia! Jesus is risen! Those who believe in Him will be raised from the dead to live with Him forever (Jn 11:26). Because we will rise:
- we can be free and fearless in the face of death (Heb 2:15; 1 Cor 15:55),
- we can be marvelously courageous and regard the worst sufferings as nothing (2 Mc 7:12),
- we are full of hope (2 Mc 7:14; 1 Pt 1:3),
- we are not manipulated into a life of pleasure-seeking (see 1 Cor 15:32),
- we see our bodies as temples of the Spirit (1 Cor 6:19),
- we are compelled to proclaim the good news of our resurrection to those trapped in the "culture of death" (see 2 Tm 2:8),
- we have a special bond of unity and community with those who also believe in the resurrection, and
- we are obligated to gather on Sunday, Resurrection Day, for a weekly anniversary celebration of Jesus' resurrection.
Our faith in the resurrection should be written all over our lives. It should be noticeable almost immediately to anyone observing us. "Should anyone ask you the reason for this hope of yours, be ever ready to reply" (1 Pt 3:15).
Alleluia! He is risen! You will rise! Alleluia forever!
Prayer: Father, may my faith in the risen Jesus make it impossible for me to have a bad day.
Promise: "Pray for us that the word of the Lord may make progress and be hailed by many others, even as it has been by you. Pray that we may be delivered from confused and evil men." —2 Thes 3:1-2
Praise: Praise Jesus, "the Resurrection and the Life"! (Jn 11:25) He is "the First and the Last and the One Who lives" (Rv 1:17-18).
Reference: (For related teaching, order our pamphlet, Risen Life.)
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Robert L. Hagedorn, April 4, 1998
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, April 8, 1998