"Stand firm against the tactics of the devil." —Ephesians 6:11
"Stay sober and alert. Your opponent the devil is prowling like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Pt 5:8). The devil hates us. He wants to use us to show his hatred of Jesus. His plan is to deceive, enslave, use, abuse, degrade, kill, and damn us. Therefore, "our battle is not against human forces but against the principalities and powers, the rulers of this world of darkness, the evil spirits in regions above" (Eph 6:12).
We are in extreme danger, but we need not be afraid because in Christ we have authority over all demons (see Mt 10:1). We will exercise this authority and have victory if we:
- draw our "strength from the Lord and His mighty power" (Eph 6:10),
- "put on the armor of God" (Eph 6:11),
- "stand firm against the tactics of the devil" (Eph 6:11),
- "do all that (our) duty requires" (Eph 6:13),
- by faith "extinguish the fiery darts of the evil one" (Eph 6:16),
- attack the devil with the two-edged sword of the Spirit using the word of God and prayer (Eph 6:17-18),
- pray and fast (Mt 17:21), and
- obey the Lord and His Church (see 2 Cor 10:6).
Attack the gates of hell (see Mt 16:18). Quickly crush Satan under your feet (Rm 16:20).
Prayer: Father, put Your word on our lips that we "may courageously make known the mystery of the gospel" (Eph 6:19).
Promise: "Blessed is He Who comes in the name of the Lord." —Lk 13:35
Praise: "Blessed be the Lord, my Rock, Who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war" (Ps 144:1).
Reference: (For related teaching, order our pamphlet, Spiritual Warfare.)
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Robert L. Hagedorn, April 4, 1998
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, April 8, 1998