what the spirit can do
"Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became believers?" —Acts 19:2
Twelve men in Ephesus humbled themselves by admitting to Paul that they had not so much as heard of the Holy Spirit (Acts 19:2). Then they gave their lives to Jesus, were baptized in His name, received the Spirit, and "began to speak in tongues and to utter prophecies" (Acts 19:5-6). The Holy Spirit working through these men resulted in:
- all the inhabitants of the province of Asia hearing the word of God in two years (Acts 19:10),
- "extraordinary miracles," healings, and deliverances (Acts 19:11-12),
- the fear of God falling on all, and many Christians repenting of their involvement in the occult (Acts 19:17-19),
- the word of the Lord continuing "to spread with influence and power" (Acts 19:20),
- the idolatry and the economy of the city of Ephesus being significantly affected (Acts 19:25-27), and
- "a serious disturbance" breaking out "concerning the new way," that is, concerning Christianity (Acts 19:23).
It is amazing what the Holy Spirit can do through a few people to transform individuals and society! Imagine what the Holy Spirit can do through you to "overcome the world" (Jn 16:33), if you will only let it be done to you according to God's word! (Lk 1:38) Come, Holy Spirit!
Prayer: Father, may I realize that only the Holy Spirit can "renew the face of the earth" (Ps 104:30). Holy Spirit, work through me.
Promise: "I tell you all this that in Me you may find peace. You will suffer in the world. But take courage! I have overcome the world." —Jn 16:33
Praise: Bernardine preached against usury and gambling and emphasized the need for repentance.
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Edward J. Gratsch, October 10, 1995
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, October 13, 1995