Matthias was chosen as an apostle to replace Judas. Joseph was not chosen; he was passed over. Have you ever been passed over for a job promotion, turned down for a prettier girl or guy, or lost out to your sibling for a parent's attention? Now what do you do?
All we know about Joseph is the following:
- Joseph followed Jesus wherever He went (Acts 1:21).
- Joseph was faithful over the long haul. He stayed in the company of the disciples from beginning to end (Acts 1:22).
- Joseph did not seek honors for himself; he was nominated by the others (Acts 1:23).
- Joseph was such a powerful, faithful disciple that he was worthy of being considered for apostleship.
- Joseph joined the leaders and Matthias in humbly seeking God's will (Acts 1:24) over who was to be chosen.
- Joseph was ready to serve God if he was chosen.
After Matthias was chosen, we hear no more about Joseph. However, it's likely that Joseph responded to being "un-chosen" by living the same faithful, committed life as he had always done. Joseph may not have been chosen, but he was choose-able.
Like Joseph, we can be faithful slaves of God, "each of (us) doing only what the Lord assigned" us (1 Cor 3:5). Even if we are passed over for some position or favor, we are always "chosen and precious in the sight of God" (1 Pt 2:4, RNAB). Choose to stay faithful, thankful, and humble.