Many people have a crucifix on their wall, in their pocket, in their purse, or around their neck. Usually at the top of this crucifix are the letters I. N. R. I. This stands for "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews." On Calvary, hardly anyone believed this inscription. In fact, "the chief priests of the Jews tried to tell Pilate...'This man claimed to be King of the Jews' " (Jn 19:21).
What about you? Do you believe the letters on your crucifix? Or are the letters I.N.R.I. just an inscription you've never paid any attention to? If you decide to take your crucifix seriously and be a faithful subject of King Jesus, you must:
- be rescued "from the power of darkness" (Col 1:13),
- contradict leaders, soldiers, criminals, and the majority of people who continue to mock His kingship (Lk 23:35, 36, 39),
- be willing to be persecuted,
- worship King Jesus, for He is the King of kings and God Himself, and
- tell everyone about the perfect King, Who is God and Love (see 1 Jn 4:16).
Are you willing to accept Jesus as your King? If so, kneel down before Him now and give Your most precious gifts to Him (see Mt 2:11). Give your whole life to King Jesus. If you are not willing to accept King Jesus, remove any crucifixes from your sight. Don't be a hypocrite by having a crucifix around if you don't believe in the crucified King. Start talking to Jesus. Ask Him to show you Who He is. Begin to repent. Keep talking to Jesus until you can again honestly see or carry a crucifix not out of habit but out of love.