God has graciously revealed Himself to us through creation, history (especially the Exodus), the Jewish people, the Law, the prophets, Wisdom literature, the covenants, the priesthood, the Davidic dynasty, etc. Nevertheless, "in times past, God spoke in fragmentary and varied ways" (Heb 1:1).
"In this, the final age, He has spoken to us through His Son" (Heb 1:2). Jesus is the eternal, incarnate, and final Word. There is no further public revelation after the apostles and the Bible. The Holy Spirit has revealed so much to us. The Church will spend all of the rest of time "to grasp fully, with all the holy ones, the breadth and length and height and depth of Christ's love" (Eph 3:18).
However, even with God's astounding revelation, God is primarily mystery.
- Why and how are there three Persons in one God?
- How can the eternal Son of God empty Himself (Phil 2:7) and be fully God and fully man?
- How does the Father eternally beget the Son?
- How does the Father through and with Jesus eternally send the Holy Spirit?
- How does Jesus' once-and-for-all sacrifice on Calvary transcend time and space?
- How does God live in me and I in Him?
Let us celebrate these mysteries.